Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pasta Moon Restaurant, Half Moon Bay CA

If there's one thing I love, it's walking into a restaurant and receiving a cheery hello.  I'm usually a solo diner, and if I patronize an establishment more than a few times I like to be recognized - I mean, really.  I don't think it's too much to ask.

I know what goes thru the minds of servers when they see me:  "Oh Gawd, a solo diner.  There goes my tip!"  But in my case, they're wrong.  I'm a great tipper, and I appreciate good service.

I like having a place as a "hang-out", somewhere I can relax, have a glass of wine, see what's on the menu for the night, do some people-watching, and chat with the servers.  It's been tough trying to find a place in Half Moon Bay where I feel comfortable hanging out for an hour or two. 

The first time I went to Pasta Moon, it was a year ago.  I was with a friend and we sat at a table on a warm summer night and had a great dinner - and I didn't go back.  I felt the restaurant was too much of a "couples" place and the food was great, but not cheap.  I've also been pinching pennies since then because of my work situation (which fortunately has turned around), so that put a real crimp in my action.  I returned to Pasta Moon a few weeks ago, sat at the counter, and I had a great evening - I finally found my hang-out.

At the counter, watching the chefs do their magic
I've now been there for dinner on three subsequent Fridays.  The counter is actually in front of where the waiters' station is - they fill water glasses, input their orders, and do other various things in that area.  When I sit there, every single server will say hello to me with a big smile, and many will talk to me as they're working.  I feel welcome and very at ease, plus the food is top-notch.

THE PARTICULARS:

Pasta Moon Restorante & Bar
315 MAIN STREET
HALF MOON BAY, CA 94019 
CALL 650.726.5125






THE SKINNY:
The restaurant is located in a building just south of the bridge leading into town.  The exterior is a metal rusty-type-color.  As you walk in, you'll see a cozy bar on the right, the Music Box Lounge in front of you where you can relax on couches, drink, and watch the band on Fridays and Saturdays - and the main dining room will be on your left.  There is another dining room in back of the kitchen with a separate entrance, plus a lovely outside eating area next to the creek.  The outside area is open only on sunny, warm days.

There are separate rooms for banquets or parties.  Reservations are highly recommended.  This is a favorite among locals and it gets very busy after 6:30 PM on weekends.

THE FOOD:
Pasta Moon makes most of its own pasta, and it is to die for.  I wish I'd taken a pic of my last entree there, but it didn't last more than a few minutes after the server delivered it.  However, I did have the presence of mind to take pics of my appetizer and dessert:

Squash Blossoms Stuffed With Goat Cheese With Beet & Radish Salad
My server, who has been there for 17 years, kept muttering, "Butterscotch pudding, butterscotch pudding"  throughout my meal - so I had to try it. 
Butterscotch Pudding, Whipped Cream
 I didn't know pudding could taste like that.  Smooth as silk, light on the tongue but full of butterscotch flavor.  A little bit of heaven, with a topping of whipped cream.

No comments: