Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Wondrous signs of spring....

I had no idea there was a horse farm in Half Moon Bay until I went on one of my exploratory drives a few weeks ago and stumbled across it.  I made a right turn down a country road, navigating around potholes the size of Idaho, and soon came upon several lovely mares and their tiny foals in a large paddock.  A man with a delivery truck had also stopped and was taking pictures.  He said, "My kids will love these pictures - there's another mare with a foal in the barn there", indicating a building behind him with a nod of his head.


Since that day I've come to know the owner of the farm, who has no problem with my visits.  She raises Holsteiner horses, bred for jumping, seen at those showy/fancy/English rider-type gatherings that we tend to ignore unless our gross annual income tops....well, you know.  Lots of money.

This particular farm has 20 foals entering the world this spring.  I have a new surprise every time I stop by.

There's something magical about putting your hand out to stroke a tiny soft velvety muzzle, chin hairs softly tickling your palm, enormous eyes taking everything in for the very first time.

This little boy will be gray like his mother as he gets older

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Horses are so majestic. My best friend had them growing up. She actually had her senior portrait taken with her horse!